Search This Blog

Loading...

Wednesday, July 14, 2010

Five Wounds Portuguese National Church -Igreja Nacional Portuguesa das Cinco Chagas

The Five Wounds Portuguese National Church is the heart and soul of the Portuguese Community in Santa Clara Valley. The Five Wounds Parish was dedicated by Father Henrique Ribeiro on November 8, 1914. The hard work and dedication of many Portuguese families made this beautiful edifice possible. The story of the construction of Five Wounds is a testament to the spirit of the Portuguese people. After the local Panama-Pacific Exposition closed in San Francisco at the end of 1915, a group of community leaders asked to use the timbers and wood from the Portuguese Pavilion to help build the Five Wounds Church. With wagons and fanfare they brought back from San Francisco down the El Camino Real the building materials for Five Wounds Church. They were met and celebrated in the many Portuguese communities along the way. The cornerstone of the church was laid October 1, 1916, and the completed building was consecrated on July 13, 1919. From that wonderful beginning grew the strong support for the Five Wounds Portuguese National Church.
The building is of Manueline style and has been a source of identity and pride for the over eight hundred thousand Portuguese-speaking people who live in California. Five Wounds has been declared by the City of San Jose a historical landmark of general interest to the entire community.
Since the founding of Five Wounds Church, many fine clergymen have served the Portuguese community. Five Wounds Church offers a variety of charitable, religious, and socio-cultural services as well as operating the Five Wounds School. The church is open daily from 9:00 A.M. until 11:00 A.M. and all day Saturdays and Sundays. All are welcome.
Information courtesy of the Portuguese Chamber of Commerce of California
Additional historical information will be available on the upcoming publication, “Power of the Spirit” Edited by Portuguese Heritage Publications of California.
This collection of photographs, was taken during the recently held IV International Conference on the Holy Spirit, held June 24-27, in San Jose.

A Igreja Nacional Portuguesa das Cinco Chagas é o coração e a alma da comunidade portuguesa no Vale de Santa Clara. A paróquia das Cinco Chagas foi dedicada por Padre Henrique Ribeiro no dia 8 de Novembro de 1914. O trabalho duro e a dedicação de muitas famílias portuguesas fizeram este bonito edifício possível. A história da construcção das Cinco Chagas é uma testemunha do espírito do povo português. Após a local Exposição Panamá-Pacífico fechou-se em São Francisco no fim de 1915, um grupo de portuguêses pediram para usar as madeiras do Pavilhão Português para ajudar a construir a Igreja das Cinco Chagas. Com vagões e celebração caminharam de São Francisco trazendo os materiais do edifício para o sítio da nova igreja. Foram encontrados e comemorados em muitas comunidades portuguesas ao longo da viagem. A primeira pedra da igreja foi colocada no dia 1 de Outubro de 1916, e o edifício foi consagrado no dia 13 de Julho de 1919. Daquele dia em diante cresceu o apoio da paróquia da Igreja Nacional Portuguesa das Cinco Chagas.
O edifício é do estilo Manuelino e foi uma fonte de identidade e o orgulho para os oitocentos mil portuguêses que vivem na Califórnia. As Cinco Chagas foi declarada, pela cidade de São José, um sítio histórico de interesse geral à comunidade.
Desde a fundação das Cinco Chagas, diversos clérigos serviram à comunidade portuguesa. A Igreja das Cinco Chagas oferece uma variedade de serviços de caridade, religiosos, e sócio-culturais e tambem mantem a escola das Cinco Chagas. A igreja é aberta durante a semana das 9:00 até as 11:00, e todo o dia nos Sábados e Domingos. Todos são bem-vindos.
Informação cortesia da Câmara de Comércio Portuguesa da Califórnia
Informação histórica adicional estará patente no próximo trabalho que será editado pela Portuguese Heritage Publications of California, entitulado “Power of the Spirit”
Esta colectânea de fotografias, foi tirada durante a recente IV Conferencia Internacional Sobre o Espírito Santo, realizado em San José, California entre 24 e 27 de Junho passado.

1 comment:

Ana Loura said...

Bela reportagem, José. Obrigada. Bjs